Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2011

Mummies, the British Museum, and PJ Harvey

An unstructured day at last! After traveling all day in Oxford, I was happy to sleep in. The only events on the schedule were touring the British Museum and finishing up my podcast that's due today.

The British Museum is fantastic because it's free so I got to wander around the museum at my own pace, not worrying about getting my money's worth, nobody stopped me from taking flash photography, and it has the Rosetta Stone and ancient Egyptian artifacts and mummies. This one broke my heart, though:













You can't really see his face at this angle because of his hand, but the look of anguish on his face was horrible. The description didn't say what he died of, but the sands protected the body from complete decay. There were a lot of other Egyptian artifacts and mummies, but I spent a lot of my time in the Chinese jade section, the Turkish jewelry and dishes, as well as checking out the Rosetta Stone. The British Museum is world-class and free; it's a treasure and if you enjoy museums, you should certainly visit.

Tomorrow is Brighton! And then the rest of the weekend will be spent working on my video for class due Monday. Fun.

           PJ Harvey at a 2009 concert at the Minnesota Zoo.
A.k.a.: the best night of my life.
Here's my podcast for class. It's basically an overview PJ Harvey's latest album, Let England Shake, because it's something I really love and it was fun to research and talk about. Learning how to use Audacity tonight was a little rough, but I got it in the end, I think.



Breihan, Tom, Initials. (2010, December 2). Pj harvey: written on the forehead. Pitchfork, Retrieved from http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/12059-written-on-the-forehead/ 

Harvey, PJ. (Artist). (2010). Pj Harvey let England shake Andrew Marr show 18th april 2010. [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64C6Ih4QlrE 

Harvey, PJ (Performer). (2011). The Words That Maketh Murder [Recorded by PJ Harvey]. On Let England Shake [Medium of recording: CD] Santa Monica, CA: Vagrant Records. (2011)  

Harvey, PJ (Performer). (2011). The Glorious Land [Recorded by PJ Harvey]. On Let England Shake [Medium of recording: CD] Santa Monica, CA: Vagrant Records. (2011) 

Harvey, PJ (Performer). (2011). Written on the Forehead [Recorded by PJ Harvey]. On Let England Shake [Medium of recording: CD] Santa Monica, CA: Vagrant Records. (2011) 


McCormick, Neil, Initials. (2011, July 20). Pj harvey: masterpiece of the first rock-and-roll war artist. The Telegraph, Retrieved from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/8650329/P.J-Harvey-Masterpiece-of-the-first-rock-and-roll-war-artist.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment